header image
 
 

About Birdwell

Birdwell Primary School lies south of Barnsley and is situated on the main A61 road between Barnsley and Sheffield, please click on the map button to the left. The school is over 100 years old and celebrated its 100 year anniversary in 1993. We are a small school with very good community ties. The village of Birdwell has recorded history dating back to the early 1600′s, some of which can be read about below. DSC_1312
DSC_1403

The History of Birdwell

Birdwell is a surname of English origin, adopted from the location name given to ‘Dweller at or near a spring or well frequented by birds’. The well that gives the village its name lies just behind the Cock Inn public house. There are records that date back to the early 1600′s, that indicate the use of the village name ‘Birdwell.’ The records show that water was reportedly drawn from the original ‘Bird Well’ and placed in a 60 gallon barrel on wheels, which was then in turn drawn by either a donkey or pony and vended in Hoyland Common.

Whilst in the 1800′s much of the villages activities centered in or around the Cock Inn and the Eastwood family, there was a local colliery, the Wharncliffe Silkstone Colliery and a besom trade that became well known and provided employment for many local people. DSC_1319
DSC_1374 The history of Birdwell tells of a highway man and the deceptive use of coins where coins of a lesser value were hammered out to make larger flatter coins of a higher monetary value.
Birdwell has changed over the years and the village, like many others, would probably be unrecognisable to our predecessors. Whilst a map dated 1825 shows very few buildings in Birdwell a more recent map dated 1987 shows quite the contrary. Roads and streets have been renamed and a great many buildings no longer exist.

History of Birdwell School

Here are some old pictures of Birdwell Primary school